Matthew 6: 5
And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, They have their reward.
Note: While this is not where Jesus responded to the apostles' request to teach them to pray (that is in Luke 11 and contains a shorter version of this prayer), it is more extensive and teaches more than just the prayer to pray, so I felt it is a better source for study and reflection. This text is from the Sermon on the Mount.
Observations:
1) Jesus assumed his listeners were in the habit of praying.
2) Hypocrites pray also, in fact they love to pray
3) We can pray for the wrong reason ... to be seen by men
4) Those who pray to be seen by men have their reward (they are seen / praised by men)
Reflections:
Just as it is normal and expected for people who have or are building a relationship to have conversations, it is normal and expected that we talk (have conversations) with God as we build our relationship with Him. What an awesome opportunity and privilege it is to have a conversation with the Creator of the Universe! And we squander and ignore that privilege so often. Lord, help me to deeply appreciate and exercise that privilege daily and to truly recognize it as a privilege, not a duty.
Michael shared with me this morning that he often feels that he prays 'better' (more fluently?) when praying with others. I often feel the same way. I'm not sure of the reason, but I hope that it is not because of this hypocritical desire to be seen by men, to be respected by my spiritual peers, leaders, and followers. Lord, help me to love to pray and for the right reasons.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home